Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Goodbye, Madam President Cory

Weeks ago, outpouring messages of prayer was sent all over for her. My prayer for her that time was just simple. "Lord, if it is Your will. And if it is her time to go, let Your will be done. She has suffered a lot and achieved more, more than any person I have known."

August 1, 2009, Former Philippine President Corazon C. Aquino died.

An icon of democracy. An icon of freedom. A great mother to the country.

I could still remember when i was young, i was still 5 years old then. We lived in a small city, Gingoog City. I remembered running to an open field in a nearby school. Watching the Huey helicopters landing on the ground. I don't know then who was on it. I remember also on that same day, i was watching near a public market, a rally of sorts. Not knowing, that the one speaking was then the newly elected president of my country.

Through these years, she had remained a powerful woman to the eyes of the Filipino people. A source of strength of the Filipino people. Someone looked up to.

While i was watching the necrological ceremony on the TV for her. I was in awe of the things she did to those who were closed to her. Much more even to the lowest in the society like me. I'm in awe to her greatness and her love to the people. I was greatly touched.

Madam President Cory, thank you for giving us the freedom and democracy that we have now in our country. I salute you for accepting the burden of assuming presidency during the time when the Filipinos needed one. If not for your sacrifices, we, the Filipino people could be different from who we are now. Thank you, Madam President. We are proud of you.

Thank God, we are Filipino.

Thank you Lord for giving us a gift, in Madam Cory.


-photo, courtesy of Reuters-

1 comments:

silver_shala,  August 5, 2009 at 12:43 AM  

may you rest in peace my President...

Post a Comment

  ©Template by Dicas Blogger.